Friday, November 7, 2008

Hey, guess what! Still no camera! Yeah!! Woohoo!! Not. It's fine. I'm cool. We're good.
I haven't had anything to share lately though, been doing allot of thinking instead. I'm very happy about the election results and have taken some time to let that sink in and truly solidify in my memory as something so incredibly significant for our generation. What it must be like for those who have fought for the idea, the mere imagining, of an African American leading our country. I've been constantly struck by the triumph those strong souls are feeling who marched for freedom and equality and who in some cases gave their lives for that cause. The truth is, I will never really know what that's like and for that I'm thankful too, but I also feel a great responsibility to honor them not just with my vote, but every day in my own community. I hope to see the change that's promised and a great improvement of our country, but I'm also worried for some of those ideas that could prove to be detrimental. This is such an important time, we can't afford to not pay attention or participate and I do believe it's possible to affect change, but it's also going to take time. I think the change that's most likely to take place has been evidenced already in the poll results. We seem to be a country that is finally ready to do what is asked of us to make the world a better place. We came out in droves with the votes to change the course of our leadership and now we have to keep that momentum going as we right the wrong of this war and commit to better living for the preservation of our planet. Sometimes, it's all very overwhelming. Other times, it extremely inspiring.

The pups are all well, but none of us are happy about daylight savings time and the lack of light after work. The real Winter has just barely begun and we are struggling to get our walks in already. Perhaps it's the lack of walks which continues to fuel my sleepless nights? I'm just not sleeping and people it's getting ugly over here with a sleepless Cameron and three cooped up pups! Nah, we're hanging in there, but I am going to chat with someone about some drugs next week... I need my beauty rest and STAT.

On an unrelated note, I love this song. And this song! Can't help but shake my butt-butt when I hear these, never mind that I'm usually driving.

Peace out.

1 comment:

mendedheart said...

I have been thinking about...and appreciating your post all day.

Your thoughts about: "What it must be like for those who have fought for the idea, the mere imagining, of an African American leading our country."

As a white person, I am limited in my understanding, but imagine that African American churches in my city will be especially joyful and praise-filled tomorrow morning.

Quoting Obama said in first lines of his Tuesday victory speech:

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."

And later in his speech:

"Its been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this day, in this election, at this defining moment, change has come to America."

In our house today, we listened to multiple You Tube versions of "A Change is Gonna Come." Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Aaron Neville, Patti Labelle, Otis Redding, Terence Trent D'Arby, of course, Sam Cooke.

Our favorite - the version by Terence Trent D'Arby.

On Wednesday, I toured the public magnet high school my son will probably attend next year in Baltimore. Most students there are African American. The school principal radiated optimism as he spoke briefly of President-elect Obama as a role model for his students.

Whatever our thoughts about leaving Iraq, government intervention in the financial markets, the right to life, or the right to health care...I am so so happy that our country is now a country capable of choosing an African American President. A country where children, whatever the color of their skin, can dream big.

I move from euphoria to tears to humility when thinking about all this.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hope you meet up with some good sleep in the near future.