Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Can't find what I'm looking for in there...


Does anyone have a really great, not-so-super-secret family recipe for crock pot corned beef??? I'm all jazzed up about tipping my hat to my wee Irish pinkie toe, but I'm just not sure how to cook the damn meat! The range of recipes is INTENSE people, add beer, don't add beer, use orange juice (ORANGE JUICE?!?!), try broth or stock in addition to or instead of water, season with vinegar, brown sugar and bay leaf? The list goes on... Some say throw your veggies/potatoes on the bottom, add meat then cabbage goes on top and finish with water, nothing fancy. I've enjoyed corned beef and cabbage several times before, but have never made it myself so, it's time to start branching out and getting some ideas. Help! The Internet is cramping my brain! TOO. MANY. RECIPES.

In other news... Lucca is still SO CUTE. Sigh.
AND, two of the three boys received baths last night. If you only knew what an accomplishment that was since I've been threatening to do it for approximately... ONE HUNDRED MONTHS! Rocko remains the dirty bird, hopefully it won't take me another one hundred months to remedy that. As for Miles, he's so insanely bald right now I worry slightly that we washed away any more of his very minimal insulation. Can you say Canine Rogaine? Naked pic to follow...

2 comments:

JennZ said...

I make corn beef in the crock pot every year....I so look forward to it, funny how I only make it on St. Paddy's Day!

I just put the meat in the pot and cover with a dark beer or water (it taste yummy both ways), add full peppercorns, and that's it.

I cook the cabbage, carrots, and potatoes separate, cause the hubby and I don't like those items too soggy. I boil the cabbage, cut in quarters, for around 10-15 minutes.

Sidney Ann said...

I hate St. Patrick's Day because of corned beef. Whoever invented it ought to die... along with a head of cabbage. Ew.