Monday, January 12, 2009

From the outbox...

Thought I'd share a little email reply I sent off to Janet, a lovely woman who dedicates everything she has to the rescue organization that both Rocko and Lucca came from. Our beloved deaf Boxer Lily had been adopted through that group as well and we love how they work with many special needs dogs to give them a second chance in the right homes. Janet often has between ten and fifteen dogs in her care at one time (yikes!) and while some have been permanently adopted by her, most are fosters hopeful to move on to a permanent place. Janet has a soft spot for the white Boxers and I had asked her recently how Frankie, the newest addition, was doing. Frankie is deaf and one that had been up for adoption, but in the end Janet just couldn't part with him. Apparently they've taken on yet another half-hearing Boxer boy since Frankie which according to her math makes "one and a half hearing Boxers" out of the bunch. Her response to "how are the white boys" was... "wilder than March Hares." She then asked me about my misfits to which I replied...


Hey Janet!

Glad to hear the boys are in good form and not letting their heritage down. We sure do wish for another Boxer all the time, but the budget just doesn't allow it. I swear, it's just about daily that I feel so sad for all the needy pups out there that are affected by the issues of the economy because of people who can no longer afford their pets or who would make great owners, but can't afford to take on the financial responsibility in the first place. We would do so much more if we could afford it. Why does money have to be a factor at all??? In any case, our focus remains on these three hoodlums and they are all thriving as a result. Miles will turn seven in February and despite serious hair loss from alopecia, he's doing famously. Rocko is a star, but still totally obsessed with games and if given the opportunity to sucker one of our guests in to his nuttiness, he'll drive them insane with never ending fetching. Mr. Lucca is always walking a fine line between "will soon be sent to boarding school" and "cutest thing you've ever laid eyes on." Sure, he's trained, but he's still a CAT. That horrible woman ("breeder") should have never called these designer dogs "Frenchbo's" or "Bugs" or whatever the heck they were/are, she should have just popped them in a cage and slapped a sticker on their that said "KITTENS" it would have been more truthful. (As I type, Lucca is overtaking my keyboard with his large behind.)

I've attached a photo of the boys... sleeping. It's what they do best~

Cam

2 comments:

See Sherm Blog said...

Cute. I really hope that some day Kyle and I are in a better position to adopt again. Maybe after life has returned to some sense of normal after baby is born... and we have a bit of a schedule. I wish we could do it now, but I'm just afraid (after what happened last time) its too much for us to handle this close to having a baby.

But we are not giving up... a 2nd dog will be introduced into our family. :-)

natasha | sohobutterfly said...

Isn't adoption great? There is nothing more rewarding. I keep in touch with our rescue peeps too, in fact I now volunteer for them!